Autor Tema: Syrian Latakia de Mc Lintock y Espuma de Mar  (Leído 2725 veces)

Desconectado Pablín

• "Solo se vive una vez"
    • Ver Perfil
Syrian Latakia de Mc Lintock y Espuma de Mar
« en: Octubre 16, 2016, 06:48:14 am »
Un tabaco Va/Bu/La, es decir Virginia-Burley-Latakia, suave y con presencia en la boca, no pica y con un retrogusto muy agradable, una mezcla inglesa muy aceptable, no se si se consigue en el país, mas tabacos de estas características cuesta en el país alrededor de $160/$180 el pouch de 50 grs.
Para el que deseé hondear un poco más:

Folks, this concoction pays fine tribute to the wonders of Latakia used sparingly, in harmony with other leaves. Unlike the above reviewer, I found this blend demure in its leathery presentation. The tin aroma is somewhat balkan in its pungency, rather more sour than sweet. I am not usually a burley fan, but I found it kept a low profile here, content to allow the virginias to sing tenor while the dark leaf played a humble basso profundo. I detect some sort of casing here, albeit slight. This tabak is blended in Germany for McLintock and Germans cannot seem to leave a blend uncased. That said, it is not offensive. The mixture requires a good airing prior to enjoyment and did not seem to prefer any particular size of bowl. The above may seem to indicate that this was a rather "ho-hum" affair, but it is not so. Having worked through a tin in short order lead to purchasing several more as I am delighted with its complexity and ease on my palate. If ever a dark blend could be referred to as "refreshing", my money is on this treasure. 12/28/04--had placed the contents of 5 tins into a jar and let sit since may. Am currently enjoying now. Go find some.

5 people found this review helpful.

Reviewed By   Date   Rating   Strength   Flavoring   Taste   Room Note
Bigdadz (34)   2008-12-02   
????
Medium   Mild   Mild to Medium   Pleasant to Tolerable
Patrick from Blatter and Blatter recommended this blend when I mentioned my liking for Latakia. A rectangular tin with a pipe rest molded in the lid, quite attractive. As I opened it, an exotic smokey aroma hit my nostrils, reminiscent of a middle-eastern desert camp fire.

The cut is very fine and easy to load in any pipe, but such a fine cut leads to the tobacco drying out faster

No troubles lighting and burned with minimal if not any relights. The blend also contains Virgina and Burley, a combination complimenting the main star: Latakia.

After smoking several tins of the blend over the years, I no longer enjoy it. I detect a topping of some sort, which can be distracting. I can see how some would enjoy it, but I personally find that it lacks complexity and depth.

4 people found this review helpful.

sasha (228)   2005-10-24   
????
Medium   Extremely Mild   Medium to Full   Tolerable
Finally, a true great Continental Europe English blend! It's made in Germany, but it doesn't resemble the classic production of that land, though I could detect a slight casing. Upon opening the (very nice) tin, you find the tobacco into a plastic bag, which helps keeping the moisture at a fine level. The cut is a medium ribbon which together with the moisture level makes packing and lighting an easy task. The big flavour starts to develop from the very first match, with the great latakia always in great evidence, while the Virginia provides the medium body and a little sweetness; the burley rounds it all with its nutty flavour. As far as burning goes, well, it's a marvel: easy, even, cool, it leaves just fine, white ash at the bottom of the bowl. Highly recommended.

4 people found this review helpful.

Calamiti (26)   2016-02-27   
????
Mild to Medium   Mild   Mild   Pleasant to Tolerable
I bought six pouches of this blend with the only purpose to get an idea on what Syrian Latakia, the now vanished weed, is. Well, now I have learnt it's milder and weaker than the Cyprian variety but it's aroma is slightly more complex, it reminds rather of incenses than of campfire and gives more pleasant room note.

To be honest I don't feel I'm loosing too much because of the scarcity and unavailability of Syrian Latakia on the market. Nothing special in it, and I won't search for more.

The blend is sort of weird. It looks and smells like an English blend but actually it isn't one. Burley-front base, cased in some typical German casing-juices, topped with an uncommon sort of Latakia all make a blend that has just a superficial similarity to an English/Balkan mix. It's a mix in its own right and I'd rather classify it within continental semi-aromatics sprinkled with exotic spice tobaccos.

Totally smokable, not offensive, very mild (actually, too mild , in my opinion) Must try if you want an introduction into Syrian Latakia. Other than that me personally see little interest in this particular blend.

Pipe Used: Comoy's Tradition Zulu

Age When Smoked: 1

3 people found this review helpful.

StevieB (944)   2014-05-22   
????
Medium   None Detected   Very Full   Very Pleasant
Syrian Latakia . The unlit mix has a supreme smokey aroma emanating from the Latakia . It is of a brilliant moistness too , so once filled it takes to the flame very easily . The flavour of this is a total delight , you get the Virginia "hay" note with an amazing smokiness from the Latakia . If you are the type of smoker who has a predilection to inhale the smoke then this will suit you as it is a very soft and silky smoke with a great nicotine content (about Squadron Leader level) . As this burns on the smokey flavour does not dissipate any at all , staying prodigious for the whole pipe . Room note is very "classic" and takes you back to the 1800's ! This is going straight into my favorites .... superb !

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Age When Smoked: New

Purchased From: Smoke King

PHOBOS (9)   2010-04-23   
????
Mild to Medium   Very Mild   Medium to Full   Pleasant to Tolerable
WOW...A great...great pipe tobacco. The best Syrian Latakia Blend that I smoked in my life.Deliciously DELICIOUS.You MUST prove it.

smoking-rob (75)   2008-05-22   
????
Medium   Extremely Mild   Medium to Full   Pleasant
What sets this blend apart from so many other Latakia mixtures is the fact that Syrian Latakia is used, and this is very different to the more common Cypres variety. For one thing, the nicotine content of Syrian is much higher than Cyprian and this shows in the kick this fine blend delivers! The taste is different too, being less leathery/smoky and more aromatic for that matter. I recently bought for tins of this blend and those tins were just flat, no pipe indent in the lid. I feel this is an excellent Latakia mixture that is subtly sweet, smokey and just wholly delicious!

Pipe Dreamer (1)   2007-02-15   
????
Medium   None Detected   Medium to Full   Strong
I love this stuff. Volumes of smoky rich taste. As a cigar smoker I have been wondering if I could find the same bliss with a pipe. I have tried many four star blends and this is my favorite so far....But I can't find any! Anyone know where it is sold or if it has a different name in bulk?

"Viajar es llevar consigo la causa que nos empuja a marcharnos, de manera que irse no es alejarse sino prolongarse." Sócrates.

Desconectado Alfredo

• "La ignorancia es atrevida"
    • Ver Perfil
Re:Syrian Latakia de Mc Lintock y Espuma de Mar
« Respuesta #1 en: Octubre 16, 2016, 08:34:26 pm »
Me llamó la atención la edad de uno de los fumadores que comentan -> "Age When Smoked: 1", es decir que con 1 año ya fumaba pipa !!
Leyendo una segunda vez, veo que se refiere a la fecha del pouch ......
jajajjaja  :o :o
Lo que no me parece muy saludable es la observación en alemán: "fumar puede ser mortal".......... :-X
El que mira la tierra y no sabe mirar, solamente ve la tierra ..

Desconectado Pablín

• "Solo se vive una vez"
    • Ver Perfil
Re:Syrian Latakia de Mc Lintock y Espuma de Mar
« Respuesta #2 en: Octubre 22, 2016, 08:45:34 am »
Don Alfredo, le comento que algunos los tabacos, al igual que algunas bebidas alcohólicas, con el tiempo maduran para bien en sus diferentes matices. Tengo varios tabacos que con los años han se han puesto muy ricos.
"Viajar es llevar consigo la causa que nos empuja a marcharnos, de manera que irse no es alejarse sino prolongarse." Sócrates.